Hair Facts You May Not Know!
Published on January 11, 2017 by Glenn Charles
- Black is the most common hair color in the world. Red, which only exists in about 1% of the world’s population, is the rarest. Blonde hair comes in second, with only 2% percent of the population.
- Hair can grow almost anywhere on the body, except: the palms of your hands, the soles of your feet, your lips and your mucous membranes.
- Hair is very elastic! It can stretch up to 30% of its original length when wet.
- People typically shed between 40 and 150 strands of hair a day.
- Hair & bone marrow are the fastest growing tissues in the human body.
- Hair is mostly made up of keratin, which is also found on the outer layer of our skin and nails.
- On average, hair grows about, .5 inches per month, and 6 inches per year.
- The outermost layer of hair is called the cuticle and is made up of overlapping segments, that protect the inside layers of hair. The segments of the cuticle lay flat if hair is healthy, and open on dry or damaged hair.
- It takes about 3 years to grow hair to your shoulders and 7 to grow it to your waist.
- Hair can be used as a sponge, and was used during the 2007 Cusco Busan oil spill in the San Francisco Bay to absorb oil from the water.
- In the Victorian Era, hair was used as jewelry! People had brooches, pendants and watch fobs made from the hair of loved ones they lost as a stylish way to keep them present.
- The average person has 100,000 – 150,000 strands of hair on their head.
- You can tell a lot about a person from their hair. Hair is often used by forensic scientists to learn everything in a person’s bloodstream: medicine, drugs, alcohol, vitamins and minerals.
- There is no difference between male and female hair in terms of growth cycle and make up.
- Hair is constantly growing, and has a lifespan of around 5 years. 90% of our hair is growing at any given time, while the other 10% is in a resting phase.
- Women in ancient Rome used to dye their hair blonde with pigeon dung.
- All of the hair follicles in the human body are formed by the time we are just five months old in the womb.
- When a hair falls out, it will usually re-grow. Hair can do this up to 20 times in a lifetime.